Thursday, November 18, 2010

Present in the Present

I worry a lot about the future because I have always had very high expectations for it. I put things off because I want the future manifest itself exactly as I have planned. I live under the delusion that I can somehow control or stop time, which often leaves me feeling stagnant and consumed by fear and dread.
With the New Year approaching, I have decided to try and change my attitude. Not only will I try to live more for the present, but I will look forward to the future, as opposed to fearing disappointment or failure. My husband recently brought all of this into perspective for me over a conversation regarding our future as it relates to children, a house, my career, etc. My thoughts kept coming out in the “if this, then that” vein. He brought to my attention that if I’m always waiting for one element to fall into place before doing anything else, I will always stand still. What if that one detail never happens? Does that mean I have to give up everything else I want? I am trying to shift my perspective to see each day as a series of opportunities. Instead of planning ahead, I will try to take advantage of moments and opportunities as they present themselves. No more worrying about what will happen tomorrow.
To begin to put this into practice, today I am going to call a local chef that I recently had the opportunity of meeting, and ask him to let me spend a day in his kitchen as a trail (a common culinary practice). I’m not even going to think past the phone call…


Posted by Mrs. Sweatpants

No comments:

Post a Comment