Monday, November 1, 2010

I’ve been Vegas’ed

A few things about me:
1. I avoid heels at all costs.  They hurt my feet and my back, and I don’t like drawing attention to my legs.
2. I don’t eat meat from McDonald's. Ever.  I gave it up when I was 14 because of the fat content.  I maintained my resistance in college, because I thought most meat was gross at that time.  I continue to avoid it at present, because tactics used by corporations like McDonald's have ripple effects that lead to abuse of workers, farmers, and animals.

Then why did I happily do both of these things in Las Vegas, Nevada a few weekends ago?  Not once, but THREE times.  I’ve always prided myself on sticking to my principles, so it fascinates me when I choose to abandon them.  Did I really have no alternative, like I told myself all weekend, or did I just want to be bad? 

When I weigh the evidence now, I think I just wanted to be bad.  I had flats that would have matched the dresses I wore, but I chose the heels.  If I had been willing to walk or cab a few minutes out of my way, I could have gotten food outside of my hotel and not been “stuck” with McDonald's. 

I used to think that being bad meant doing so within the confines of my belief system (e.g. gorging on fries from a Mom-N-Pop diner or buying expensive but comfortable shoes).  But maybe a lady needs to step outside herself once in a while and try something new?  Live within a different set of rules to see if she’s really happy with what she has chosen? 

This lady learned that while the heels and miniskirts were fun for a weekend, I much prefer my walking sandals.  On the other hand, I think it’s time for me to publicly admit that I love a juicy burger (but I’d rather not buy it at McDonald's).

So, Ladies, I recommend stepping outside your comfort zone once in a while.  You’d be surprised at what you learn about yourself (or what you have always known but were afraid to admit).



Posted by Dr. Sweatpants

No comments:

Post a Comment