Monday, January 17, 2011

What Women Want

I am a fairly adventurous person.  I generally have the attitude of “let’s-try-this-out-and-see-what-happens”.  That’s a good attitude for dancing and camping and trying new foods.  However, I think I’m at a point in my life where that may not be the best attitude for relationships.  I find myself trying to impose rules or standards on my love life.  Even though I tend to break the rules quite a bit, I’ve decided to lay them out here in hopes of clarifying my own thoughts and maybe getting some feedback from other ladies of the world. 

Unbreakable
1. Respectful of me, my friends, and my family.
2. A little romantic.  Not over-the-top-make-me-puke-in-my-mouth romantic but hand-pick-flowers-and-cook-a-nice-dinner-once-in-a-while romantic. 
3. Does not consider selling drugs a suitable long-term career option.  I’m very liberal.  I think there are many drugs that should not be illegal.  However, in our current society, they are, and you can go to jail for selling them.  I REFUSE to be tied to a guy in jail.  That is trashier than I can even stand to think about.
4. Accepts the fact that I am a science nerd at heart.  There are going to be times when I geek out about puzzles, books, science, and neuroimaging.  I don’t want to be judged for this.

Bendable
1.  Thirty Plus.  I very recently instituted this rule for my love life, but I’m in the process of breaking it as I type this.  I was impressed by a younger man.  What else can I say? ;)
2. Gainfully employed.  I’d prefer someone with a full-time job, but I do realize that some people my age are still in school.  I, myself, was still a student a few months ago, and now I’m only working part-time as a freelancer.
3. Post-graduate degree.  I got really excited about a guy that had a law degree.  However, as a friend of mine so aptly put it, a law degree is not the same as having a job.  Unemployed is unemployed, no matter what kind of degree you have.  I understand that the economy is bad.  I’m suffering from that at the moment as well, but I am still finding ways to bring in some money.  Thus, motivation and *a* job is better than fancy degrees and *no* job/motivation/ambition.
4. Likes to read.  I’m a big reader.  I have fantasies of lying next to a fire with a handsome man, and we’re both wearing snuggies and reading books.  As such, I tend to get really excited about guys that like to read.  Unfortunately, this causes me to break all kinds of rules.
5. Holding off on sex.  I’m trying really hard to adhere to this one.  Having sex early on has bitten me in the ass in the past.  I hate the double standard, but I’m tired of dealing with immature guys that make assumptions and lock themselves into certain opinions of me.  Thus, I’ve established the don’t-be-a-slut rule.  I’ll keep you posted on how this one works out.

That’s all I’ve got for now.  Comments and suggestions welcome!


Posted by Dr. Sweatpants

No comments:

Post a Comment